replace blocked/corrode radiator drain valve QUICK WAY!
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jasonmartin10
Apprentice
Apprentice

replace blocked/corrode radiator drain valve QUICK WAY!

by jasonmartin10 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:52 am

Hi recently tried to drain all radiators, but 1 of the drain valves needs replacing as it is corrode, blocked and in an akward position, i did not have a spare valve at the time, its downstairs on a loop, is there a quick and easy way to replace it without draining the whole system again!

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:24 am

Shut off both valves.

Drain the rad.

Freeze (using pipe freezing kit) the pipe on which the valve you want to replace. Follow the instructions VERY carefully. It's easy to rush it thinking it's frozen and find out (too late) that it isn't.

Change the valve on the pipe.

Reconnect valve to rad.

Wait for ice plug to melt (iro another 15-20 mins).

Refill rad.

Alternatively if your feeling VERY brave you could do it with the pipe live after draining the rad - ie without freezing. You WILL spill some water - just how much depends on how confident and quick you are. Not really to be recommended though if you've not done it before.

Cheers

jasonmartin10
Apprentice
Apprentice

by jasonmartin10 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:40 pm

thks for that roseberry, food for thought . Problem with this drain valve is that its about a foot away from the rad valves i wonder whether to leave it alone and fit one of those valve/drainvalve all in one jobbies?

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:05 pm

That'll teach me to misread your post. I read it as a combined drain/rad valve. Don't know why really. Quel plonker!!!

So you could do it as I suggested but leave out the draining the rad bit just do it on the pipe where the drain cock is situated.

Cheers

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:26 pm

Rosebery says: "Freeze (using pipe freezing kit) the pipe on which the valve you want to replace. Follow the instructions VERY carefully. It's easy to rush it thinking it's frozen and find out (too late) that it isn't."

its also easy to be overeager and burst the pipe with the ice plug when using freezing kits as i found out once to my cost! there's a bit of a knack involved with those things but they do get you out of a hole.

frogger
Tradesman
Tradesman

by frogger » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:33 pm

stick a plug in the expansion pipe and cold feed. Make sure system is all off. Slowly and carefully loosen joint you ar working on and releive pressure, the water will slow right down and you can replace your part. Remove bungs.

Note you will need a really good seal. If the header tank starts filling when you are loosening your joint then you have not got a good enough seal, hope this helps.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:29 am