All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
OH_BUGGER
Labourer
Labourer

Replace hot water pump and vent/bleed??

by OH_BUGGER » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:57 am

Hi,

My 2 bed place has an old system in place - to my knowledge it has not been changed since it was built in the early 80's.
The Hot water/heating has been noisy since i moved in about 5 yrs ago.
To the extent that I do not have it coming on in the morning cos its so loud - and the pump is in the airing cupboard in my bedroom!

Recently its been VERY loud- lots of banging/knocking sounds - I think it may even have blown as the other day it smelt rather dodgy! I have turned it all off for now - but winters on the way!

So 2 questions really:
1. With what should I replace my MYSON unit five pump (Code 0988) (U5C252) 240V 50Hz? - I have seen Wilo RS50's and Grundfo's - which is better (quieter!?) the Wilo retails around £38 while the Grundfo seems to be about £65. I have read one bad review on the Wilo - but reviews are hard to come by.

2. And what is the vent pipe that comes out of the airing cupboard cylindr (like a spout) with a screw top used for (if i turn it it bleeds out water) - Should I have been unscrewing this on occasions - to release pressure - or is it something I am ok to just leave alone forever!

Cheers
Ob

nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

by nitro23456 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:52 pm

Grunfos pumps are better.

I am wondering whether you are talking about the drain cock to the cylinder? better description needed?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:34 pm

Use the Grundfos 15-50 pump, and the screw in the airing cupboard will be a manual airvent, you should only need to open this if you drain the system to allow air to escape.

Htg

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:30 pm