Replacement bathroom light zone 1
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Stavros
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Stavros » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:43 pm

I need to replace a bathroom light in zone one -(ceiling rose at present) no alteration is required to the exisiting wiring to the light and I have bought a Lumis flush ceiling light with an IP rating of IP44.
Wiring the light is straight forward but there is no provision for an earth connection and I am concerned that the base of the fitting is of metal construction. The circuit is protected by a 30ma RCD on the consumer unit.
My questions are : (1) can I replace the light fitting without qaulification to part P and (2) should I earth the metal base of the light fitting even though there is not provision of an earth terminal

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Replacement bathroom light zone 1

Post by BLAKEY1963 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:02 am

[quote="Stavros"]I need to replace a bathroom light in zone one -(ceiling rose at present) no alteration is required to the exisiting wiring to the light and I have bought a Lumis flush ceiling light with an IP rating of IP44.
Wiring the light is straight forward but there is no provision for an earth connection and I am concerned that the base of the fitting is of metal construction. The circuit is protected by a 30ma RCD on the consumer unit.
My questions are : (1) can I replace the light fitting without qaulification to part P and (2) should I earth the metal base of the light fitting even though there is not provision of an earth terminal[/quote]

Starvros
As project pages state , your intended work is under the scope
of part p . get in your part p electrcian.

BLAKEY1963

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:01 pm

Hi Stavros,
you can indeed replace like for like equipment to an already exsisting circuit, providing it complies to part p, it is not notifiable work and my understanding is even though this area is regarded as a special location you are permitted to do this.
As far as fitting is concerned, check if it is a double insulated fitting. Should be a two square symbol, one inside the other, marked on fitting.
This means an earth is not required but any earths you do have connect them up together in a terminal block so continuity is kept within circuit.
KB

moggy1968
Ganger
Ganger

Post by moggy1968 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:16 pm

I agree with KB as above. like for like is fine for you to do yourself.
also if this is IP rated it is highly likely this is a type 2 fitting so needs no earth on the casing. read the manufacturers instructions is always the caveat with these things.

Stavros
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Stavros » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:58 am

Thanks to everyone for their advice
No instructions were originally provided with the fitting but I have since obtained a copy from the store. Despite the metal construction base it is clear from the instructions that the light does not require an earth because it is double insulated as suggested by KB & Moggy.

Thanks again
Stavros

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:56 pm