Replacement for old Vent Axia 12 Extractor Fan Needed for Bathroom
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
earthleap
Labourer
Labourer

Replacement for old Vent Axia 12 Extractor Fan Needed for Bathroom

by earthleap » Thu May 11, 2017 5:05 pm

Hi guys.

I'm looking for advice and maybe a recommendation.

I currently have a Vent Axia selv 12 installed in my bathroom which apart from the red indicator light on the front no longer works. I have taken it down and given it a good clean but no joy.

I have been looking for a replacement but I keep seeing fans with 3 connections and I only have 2 wires plus the earth which is not used.

I was recently told that my broken fan is a 12v type and I need to replace it with something similar.

The more I look into this the more I am getting confused so I am looking for advice or a replacement recommendation.

My skill-set limits me to just a straight swap and drilling some more holes if that is needed to fix it to the wall.

Any help would be very appreciated.

earthleap
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Replacement for old Vent Axia 12 Extractor Fan Needed for Bathroom

by earthleap » Thu May 11, 2017 9:38 pm

Can I just buy one of these

Vent-Axia VA100SVXT12 Axial Fan

and just ignore the controller/transformer because I think I have one wired in the loft where the cables disappear to from the bathroom?

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Replacement for old Vent Axia 12 Extractor Fan Needed for Bathroom

by ericmark » Fri May 12, 2017 8:39 am

SELV stands for separated extra low voltage which means 50 volt or less and no earth connection. So very likely 12 volt.

Google shows "The VA100SVXT12 is a 100mm (4") Axial Extractor Fan with a remote mounted Timer Transformer and built in Electronic shutters. With Features such as a Indication running Light and a IPX7 rated motor, making this fan suitable for Zone 1 applications. This Fan is complimented by a range of fixing accessories including wall or window mounting kits."

After reading this I found a link to instructions and it seems there are 6 models in the range. http://www.vent-axia.com/sites/default/files/439220.pdf

Some have built in timers, some have humidity sensors etc. The rules all relate to windows, if it opens you don't need a fan so no rules, if no window then normal way is for it to come on with the lights, a non opening window and you must be able to turn on fan without turning on the lights. There is nothing to say it should be triggered by lights, however where required it does stipulate run on timer. Hence why a load of different models to comply with Part F building regulations.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:06 pm