Replacement of old light fitting
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
wingman
Labourer
Labourer

Replacement of old light fitting

Post by wingman » Wed May 11, 2011 3:00 pm

Glad of some help re replacement of old light fitting.

The new light unit has Earth, Live and Neutral terminals. Existing ceiling rose has two imput cables with black, red and earth coming in and connected to the rose as follows: 2 earths twisted together into seperate terminal, 2 red wires twisted together into one terminal on ceiling rose , 1 black into one terminal and the other into seperate terminal both on the rose. ( ie. there are three terminates on the rose with a seperate earth terminate located on the rose collar) Their is a switch which operates the light which also uses the old black ,red and earth cabling.

How do I connect the new light up and get rid of the old ceiling rose?

Grateful for some simple instructions as Wife fed-up with new light still in box!

Wingman

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Wed May 11, 2011 4:00 pm

The ceiling rose not only connects the lamp but also acts as a junction box.

Some British lamps have the extra connection required (Loop) but imports often are missing the loop connection.

Sometimes the junction block can be exchanged for a new strip with extra connection other times one has to fit a junction box. There are two designs of junction box, with screws on terminals which need access and spring clip terminals (maintenance free) but the latter needs solid wires.

You have normally in house with old colours.

* Two hole connection for switch wire to lamp often black should have a red sleeve be careful not to get this mixed up with neutrals.
* Three hole connector centre which will have two or three line red wires. These do not connect to new lamp.
* Three hole connector which will have neutral wires either one or two depending if end of run or not. These will connect to new lamp.
* Earths normally under a clamp.

wingman
Labourer
Labourer

Post by wingman » Thu May 12, 2011 10:04 pm

Thanks for the input,

However, I would be very grateful for "an idiots guide" to the specific steps in wiring up this new light fitting.

To clarify, I have an old ceiling rose from which a shade is fitted. Within the rose there is only three terminals. one has two twisted red leads going in to it, one has a black and the other also has a black lead, neither of the black leads are marked to indicate "switched live". There is also a seperate earth terminal.

There is a wall switch in the room that currently operates the existing ceiling light. Clearly this switch is wired into this ceiling rose.

I am uncertain on how to proceeed. Which wires do I put where. As expected the new light fitting has a marked live input, a neutral input and earth.

Could someone please provide some simple instructions on how to proceed. I have no meter to help.

With grateful thanks

Wingman

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Fri May 13, 2011 12:12 am

The two red go into a block termial or other method to safely connect together. Thay do not connect to light.

The earth of course unless double insulated goes to earth.

The two black wires will work either way around and in most cases it will not matter which way around they go. Of course there will be an exception and if there is a switch on the light fitting then the line should go through switch.

But normally it will not matter.

wingman
Labourer
Labourer

Post by wingman » Fri May 13, 2011 1:43 pm

Thanks ericman for those instructions. New lamp up and working! A special thanks from the wife.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:38 pm