Replacement outside light wiring problems

Postby simon.g.w » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:46 pm

Hi to everyone!

I am wanting to replace my outside PIR light with a new one.
On taking the old one off the wall I have the following wires:
1 x red thick wire
1 x red thin wire
1 x thick black wire
1 x thin black wire
1 x green earth.

On the new light there is 1 positive, 1 negative and 1 earth connection. I will struggle to get a chock block inside the light as I cannot get it in to close.

Any ideas please?

Many thanks
simon.g.w
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:23 am

I have read what you have said and wonder why the size of any cables would change. Unless cable go through a current limiting device (Fuse) they should be the same size throughout their run other wise it would be very easy to over load a cable when one is unaware of a change. Also why would it have a second circuit without an earth. I would want to investigate further and find out what is going on.
ericmark

Postby scorer20 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:44 pm

maybe a previous sparks ran a twin and earth (was the fitting metal) down there to make sure the fitting was earthed using 1.5mm t+e and removed a 2core 1.0mm twin which was part of a loop in loop out wiring system. and the other cable is still connected as a feed out to somewhere and of course is in 2core 1.0mm smaller than your other cable. that would be if the pir light didnt have overide sw to operate it
scorer20
Progress to next rank:
50%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!