Replacement pipe to tap pipe
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
squarefrog
Apprentice
Apprentice

Replacement pipe to tap pipe

by squarefrog » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:55 pm

I've got very low pressure to my kitchen hot tap. I've figured out that it's because the white tubing from the hot water pipe to the table is too kinked. See my picture:

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l251/ ... 8260-1.jpg

I figure there must be a simple way to replace this piping, possibly with a shorter length. Is this just a standard size? I have no experience with plumbing really, but I know how to switch the water off and drain the pipe enough to perform this. Plus I like knowing that I've done something!

One final question - all my pipes have this odd white stringy substance around it (the actual pipes and nut threads) - presumably to make the join tighter. What is this substance?

Thanks!

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:30 pm

I would agree that the pipe is badly kinked and maybe removing the kinks could improve the water flow. These flexible pipes only come in standard lengths, and it is unlikely you will find a shorter one.

Normally if the pipe is too long, it can be coiled into a spiral (as if making a spring) to effectively shorten it without affecting the flow. This may not entirely solve your problem as the kinked pipe may be damaged and not recover if straightened. Also, the bore of these pipes is usually quite small, and may restrict the flow to the tap anyway.

The white stringy stuff you refer to is PTFE tape, and is used to seal joints by winding it around the threads before installation. It is only necessary when the thread is the seal itself and not on compression joints and those with rubber seals such as I can see in your photo. Non of those require the use of PTFE.

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:03 am

Hi,
The "white stuff" will be PTFE tape,it helps the seal.
Yes the flexi white pipe is toooo kinked and wont help it reduces flow due to its bore. Replace it with copper pipe!!
Regards
Steve

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:23 pm

You could just shorten the copper pipe and re-connect the flexi hose - as if the flexi was straight and not kinked the tap would probably work fine.

Probably PTFE tape this helps form a watertight seal and should be wrapped in a clockwise around the olive of the joint. Available from any DIY shop, eg Wickes very cheap and effective if used correctly.

htg

nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

by nitro23456 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:04 pm

thats a right dodgy job!

I dont know why anyone would use a flexi there. The correct measure would be to replace with copper pipe.

PTFE shouldnt be wrapped around an olive either - the thread yes - the olive no.

squarefrog
Apprentice
Apprentice

by squarefrog » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:27 pm

Thanks for your replies guys! Yeah the kink is definitely affecting the flow - if you wiggle the tubing the flow increases/decreases!

I can only shorten the pipe running to the tap, as the main hot water pipe goes to a T fitting just outside the picture I took. But I don't know if that would work as the diameter of the pipe changes nearer the tap.

I might see where the 'T' section pipe is going. I've got a feeling its going to where my washing machine is. If its just blanked off I may as well just get rid of that pipe. I have a cold fill machine anyway. That way I guess I could just shorten the pipe therefore lengthening the distance between the pipe and tap. Not sure if that make sense.

I'm really not sure why they even used a flexi-hose. It really wouldn't be a big deal to have a copper pipe straight up! If only I could solder pipes...

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:36 am

Hi,
If you cant solder buy and use compression fittings
Regards

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:10 am