Replacement Thermostat for Ideal-Standard Boiler
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jim A
Apprentice
Apprentice

Replacement Thermostat for Ideal-Standard Boiler

by Jim A » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:18 am

Hello Everyone. My query is regarding the thermostat fitted to my 35 year old Ideal Standard E Type Series 2A 60/80 balance flue gas boiler. For some time now, adjusting the temperature control knob has had no effect - the boiler just heats up to what appears to be maximum before the stat operates, no matter what I set the knob to. So, my first question is: does anyone know of where I might get a replacement?. Secondly, because I suspect that spares for this age of boiler may be unavailable, does anyone know of a suitable alternative ?. The sensor for the existing stat is a copper "bulb" which sits in a pocket in the upper boiler casting, and connects to the body of the stat via a fine copper tube. I have been thinking along the lines of a immersion heater stat but with the sensor rod around 4" long. All suggestions gratefully received.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:14 pm

You should be able to find a thermostat for this boiler, try HRPC.

The thermostat has to be the thermostat fitted and recommended by the manufacturer. You'll probably find an Ideal thermostat off another boiler will be the same.

You can't make or adapt a thermostat to fit. This is a gas appliance and safety comes first.

If no luck - contact Ideal.

Jim A
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Jim A » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:55 am

Thanks htg engineer!. I'll try those suggestions of yours.

kinggeorge
Labourer
Labourer

Problem with boiler

by kinggeorge » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:35 pm

When the central heating pump kicks in the bolier does not respond so we just get water being pumped around the system without the boiler firing up.

We have to run the hot tap for a few minutes to get the boiler to fire.
Any ide of the problem and what we need to change.

Ta.
kib
[quote="htg engineer"]You should be able to find a thermostat for this boiler, try HRPC.

The thermostat has to be the thermostat fitted and recommended by the manufacturer. You'll probably find an Ideal thermostat off another boiler will be the same.

You can't make or adapt a thermostat to fit. This is a gas appliance and safety comes first.

If no luck - contact Ideal.[/quote]

kinggeorge
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Replacement Thermostat for Ideal-Standard Boiler

by kinggeorge » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:37 pm

How did you change the stat.
Did you have to undo the big nut.
Did you have to drain the system down to remove the stat.

Ta

[quote="Jim A"]Hello Everyone. My query is regarding the thermostat fitted to my 35 year old Ideal Standard E Type Series 2A 60/80 balance flue gas boiler. For some time now, adjusting the temperature control knob has had no effect - the boiler just heats up to what appears to be maximum before the stat operates, no matter what I set the knob to. So, my first question is: does anyone know of where I might get a replacement?. Secondly, because I suspect that spares for this age of boiler may be unavailable, does anyone know of a suitable alternative ?. The sensor for the existing stat is a copper "bulb" which sits in a pocket in the upper boiler casting, and connects to the body of the stat via a fine copper tube. I have been thinking along the lines of a immersion heater stat but with the sensor rod around 4" long. All suggestions gratefully received.[/quote]

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1