Replacing a 2 gang 2 way with a 3 gang switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chris99t
Labourer
Labourer

Replacing a 2 gang 2 way with a 3 gang switch

Post by chris99t » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:52 pm

Hi I have installed an outside light next to my front door. I have fed the cable to an existing light switch. This switch operates a light at the bottom of the stairs with one switch and the light at the top of the stairs with the other. There is a similar switch at the top of the stairs.

I have purchased a 3 gang(switch) switch plate and need to replace the existing 2 gang(switch) plate. Its the wiring I can't get my head round.

The old switch had two blocks on the back. Each has an L1 & L2 at the bottom and a 1 & 2 at the top. The new switch plate has one single block split into three sections each of which has L1 & L2 at the top and COMMON at the bottom.

The mains cable has Red, Black and Earth, the two other existing cables have Red, Blue Yellow and Earth. My new cable has Blue, Brown and Earth.

Complicated I know. maybe a diagram would help me! the ones with the switch was poor.

Chris

chris99t
Labourer
Labourer

3 gang switch

Post by chris99t » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:52 am

I have wired the lights and they are all functioning fine. I just need to wire the outside light into the switch. I don't have a live feed to the light. I have run a 2 core & earth to the switch from the light. Can I put a bridge in from the main live feed connection for the interior lights?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:00 pm

short answer yes from downstairs light, say in hall. Neutral to new light, live+switch live in spare loop in term at outside light, switch live back to L at new light. mark both ends of switch cable with brown sleeving/tape on blue core to show it's not N but sw/line.
see 'project-electrical-lighting' for colour drawing
regards Sparx

SteveJ76
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Replacing a 2 gang 2 way with a 3 gang switch

Post by SteveJ76 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:02 am

Would you please post a drawing of this, I’m trying to do the exact same job and I can’t get my head around it.

Thanks
Steve

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Mr White » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:22 pm

Hi SteveJ76, just saying..............
I doubt you will get a reply from either of them. chris99t only stayed for two days, back in 2009 (12 years ago) and Sparx was last here in 2013

I can only suggest you make your own post with as much information as possible.

chriscba
Ganger
Ganger

Post by chriscba » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:48 am

You will need to get a Neutral to the outside light, as there is probably not one in the switch.
Will need to run a cable from a light fitting in the house to the outside light, don't know how your going to do it without making a mess.
Then connect the blue to blue.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:46 am