replacing a bath for a shower
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cazzbrook
Labourer
Labourer

replacing a bath for a shower

by cazzbrook » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:54 am

I am in the process of refitting my upstairs bathroom. It currently has a bath and I want to replace this for a shower. what is the best way of doing this. I have replaced a bath for a bath before but not a bath for a shower, I take it the piping etc will all need to be rerouted.

Also the shower will be against an outside wall and a stud wall, I have been informed that I need to re-inforce the stud wall is this correct?

Chelsea Cruiser
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Chelsea Cruiser » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:48 am

OK, we'll need a little more information. The pipework will have to be changed but to what depends on the type of shower you intend to install. For an electric shower you will need a 45amp cable and mains water to the unit. For a shower with an integral pump you'll need a hot feed from the cylinder and a cold feed from the storage tank. For a thermostatic mixer shower you'll need the same as above via a booster pump. We can give you more info when you've decided. As for the stud wall I can't see any reason for re-inforcment BUT ..... I assume that you'll be tiling the shower and you'll get into all sorts of issues if you tile onto plasterboard in a shower cubicle.I'm sure that the guys here can point you in the right direction but we need more info.

Chelsea Cruiser
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Chelsea Cruiser » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:11 pm

Just a thought about the stud wall. It depends on which type of cubicle you intend to install. A framed cubicle sits dirctly onto the tray and relies on the wall fixings for stability and alignment, this would require a few sturdy plasterboard fixings. If you are installing a framless unit you may need tpo beef up the stud wall because there will be far more stress on the wall fixings.

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:46 pm

if you are plaster boarding the cubicle tank the walls before tiling
go to a decent tile shop they will point in the right direction
or use hardi backer boards again tile shop best bet
also consider the shower tray instalation
can you run the waste out let thru the required wall,this can depend on the layout of the joists
bob

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:54 pm