replacing a ceiling fan with a chandelier(sp?)
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
txcruiser
Labourer
Labourer

replacing a ceiling fan with a chandelier(sp?)

by txcruiser » Sun May 25, 2008 6:13 am

I live in a 100 year old house, my wife and her friend removed a working cieling fan with a light kit so I didnt get to see how it was wired up. I now have 2 hot wires (black) and 2 nuetrals (white). I am quite the novice so if I say something stupid please bear with me. The wires are on seperate breakers. I can wire the new light up to either set of wires and get light, but the wall switch doesnt operate the light when I do it this way. I need some help please. Thank you.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: replacing a ceiling fan with a chandelier(sp?)

by BLAKEY1963 » Sun May 25, 2008 10:43 am

[quote="txcruiser"]I live in a 100 year old house, my wife and her friend removed a working cieling fan with a light kit so I didnt get to see how it was wired up. I now have 2 hot wires (black) and 2 nuetrals (white). I am quite the novice so if I say something stupid please bear with me. The wires are on seperate breakers. I can wire the new light up to either set of wires and get light, but the wall switch doesnt operate the light when I do it this way. I need some help please. Thank you.[/quote]

TXCRUISER
i think u should get in an electrician to help u with this

BLAKEY1963

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun May 25, 2008 10:54 am

You're not in the UK are you?

As Blakey says - get a local electrician in to help you.

Cheers

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun May 25, 2008 11:40 am

From the colours and wording (Hot wire) I would think you live in the US?
We are all British and I think you should find a US site to help you.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:55 pm