replacing a celing light fitting in kitchen
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Neil MacDonald
Labourer
Labourer

replacing a celing light fitting in kitchen

by Neil MacDonald » Fri May 11, 2007 12:03 pm

I spent two mornings trying to replace a light fitting in kitchen before calling in an electriction who finished the job in ten minutes.
The problem was what to do with the spare black wire from the celing which was slightly longer than the others and was to do with the switch. What should I have connected it to?
I do not want the hassel of diconnecting the light to have a look as I would need at least two sets of hands.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri May 11, 2007 6:59 pm

If you posted under electrical section you would have been directed to this forums 'projects list' which shows this very common ? in technicolour ...
to answer your question, ther would have been some reds looped together in spare term. block, these are lives in/out to next light/live to switch,
the blacks looped together are neutrals in /out to next light,the longer black you refered to is the switched live coming back to fitting from switch which goes to live term. of fitting IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN MARKED AS RED WITH TAPE OR SLEEVING by previous lazy leckie as it is a LIVE wire,
hope this explains all, REGARDS SPARX

Neil MacDonald
Labourer
Labourer

Call in theexpert to save time

by Neil MacDonald » Sat May 12, 2007 7:56 am

Thankyou "sparx"I will take proper note of the existing wiring if there is a next time
Regards Neil [quote="sparx"]If you posted under electrical section you would have been directed to this forums 'projects list' which shows this very common ? in technicolour ...
to answer your question, ther would have been some reds looped together in spare term. block, these are lives in/out to next light/live to switch,
the blacks looped together are neutrals in /out to next light,the longer black you refered to is the switched live coming back to fitting from switch which goes to live term. of fitting IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN MARKED AS RED WITH TAPE OR SLEEVING by previous lazy leckie as it is a LIVE wire,
hope this explains all, REGARDS SPARX[/quote] :)

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:39 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:53 am