Replacing a CU
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
xjs1200
Apprentice
Apprentice

Replacing a CU

by xjs1200 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:11 am

I would like to have the CU replaced and asked some electricians for quotes. The actual CU is a bit old and is located in the toilet downstairs on the LHS above the basin. I asked the electricians if it was allowed to keep the CU there and they said that there is no problem. The actual CU is a flush one. An alternative location would be close to the electric meter, but the gas meter is next to it. Again the electricians said that there is no problem even to have there. Can anyone tell me if I have to leave the CU in the same location or if I have to relocate it? Is there any regulation regarding where to install CUs? Many thanks.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:36 pm

Hi difficult to judge without seeing it but above sink not best place but must not now be fitted near gas meter, regs [gas] say in seperate cupboard, also what about cables not reaching new position? must cost more to move surely?
regards SPARX

xjs1200
Apprentice
Apprentice

by xjs1200 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:23 pm

Hi Sparx, thanks for the advice. Currently the cupboard is separated in two halves by a shelf. The gas meter is located in the upper section, and this where I was told to install the new CU. Meanwhile the electric meter is placed in the lower section, and there are two boards where all this stuff is placed (e.g. meter, main switch, and earth cables). Do you think that if I extend the shelf and divide the cupboard in two, would it be OK if I ask the electrician to make some space and install the CU in the lower one? I understand that there is always the issue of extending cables, but the distance is not too long - about 1.50m. By the way, that cupboard is in the porch. Many thanks in advance.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:00 pm