REplacing a light fitting

Postby Holden » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:43 pm

Hi,

I am trying to replace a light fitting. . . the instructions clearly show how to wire the live, N and earth wires from the fitting. . . however, from the mains it has a L, N , E and switch feeder and switch return. . . it has the wires arranged as: N to N, E to E, L to Switch return, spare to (Switch feeder and L) in a 4 way block. . . .

My problem is when I take down the existing fitting, there are only 3 wires coming out of the ciling, L, N and E. . . . Can I safely assume that all I need to do is match up the wires on the 4 way block and leave a spare connector at one end??????

Any advice appreciated. . ..
Holden
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby electricman » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:28 pm

Your explanation is a unclear however, connect neutral to neutral, earth to earth, and the liave you have left at the ceiling connect this to live on the new light, try the light to see if it works, if it does not switch off move the live from the ceiling to the other connection you have left, leaving the earth and neutral in their own connections.
electricman
Progress to next rank:
21.1%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!