Replacing a light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jasper
Apprentice
Apprentice

Replacing a light

by Jasper » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:47 am

Dear all

Wonder if someone can help, in my conversatory I had alight suspended from the celing, which was wired into a spur from the main circuit suppling the double sockets out there. The roof has been replaced and the lighting removed right back to the 5amp fuse. My question is how do i go about replacing the lighting circuit. Is it simply one length of cable to the light then onto the switch? If i wanted to mount 2 wall lights how do i progress, I read the adding a wall light project which states you need an exisiting cable that is not going to a switch, which I dont have unless I have the wrong end of the stick??
Any help greatly appreciated!!

Jeffmo
Ganger
Ganger

Jasper

by Jeffmo » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:32 pm

Explain wat u mean about stripping back to 5 amp fuse , it reads like the light was run off a socket spur more info required , and we will see what we can do for you . Cheers Jeff

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:57 pm

at the fused spur is live, neutral & earth, if it is in the right position to use & is switched type, you only need run twin& earth to light & you'r done. however if not switched fused spur or in wrong place then run from spur to switch position, then on to light, connect neutrals together in switch box also connect earths together in box, then connect live to switch & switched live from switch, IE you are just looping thro N & E breaking L.
to fit additional wall lights simply connect cables N-N & E-E in switch box & fit double switch in place of single, put out going lives to wall lights in one L1 & centre light live to other L1 loop live in to both Common terms. in switches.
Regards Sparx

Jasper
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Jasper » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:09 pm

Sparx thanx for the reply, the fused spur is in the right place so I will simply run twin&earth to the light, easy when you know how!

Many thanks for the help

Cheers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:12 am