Replacing an Electric Double Oven
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
joeblog2010
Labourer
Labourer

Replacing an Electric Double Oven

by joeblog2010 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:33 am

Hello,

We have at present a fitted Double Oven ( Select 920 by Diplomat ).
It is 9 years old and is working ok but we feel like replacing it for a new one.

There appears to be just 8 small screws ( 4 ;eft front and 4 right front )fixing the oven to the housing.

What is the best way of measuring the aperture of the housing to take the new oven ?
I assume there is possibly some leeway in respect of the control facia overlap etc ?

Should I undo the screws and slide the oven forward a little and establish the exact aperture size and then buy a similar sized replacement.

I assume the electric wiring /fittings would be the same?

The present overall size of the oven ,including the controls facia ( not the aperture) is :-

h 720 , w 595 , d 550

What flexibilty will I have when installing the new oven....... it would be nice to fit with exact same size but pigs dont fly just yet, or do they ?

Regards
Joe-b

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

by collectors » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:58 am

95% of ovens will fit the standard 600mm cabinet width. Its the hight you have to be more sure on. Also check the wattage of the old oven & check this against the new oven.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:41 pm

Remember what you are looking for is a built under, not built in oven. They are available as single or double ovens.

I would say the possibility of finding one to fit is as collector says, but best to remove the old one first and see how it fits in to the cabinet as this is where any difficulty may lie.

Double ovens use up almost all of the cavity and if you have a gas hob a new oven may for example foul the existing gas pipe.

The oven is simple to remove by undoing the front screws (there are not usually eight but just two, are you sure?) and sliding the oven out.

joeblog2010
Labourer
Labourer

by joeblog2010 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:11 pm

Thanks "collectors" , that is what i thought ... i will slide out and check how much of the "space" i have to play with when i consider the new purchase.

A little puzzled by your comment "plumbbob" , i am only a naive non-teckie but always assumed a double oven was one above the other fitted as one unit up to approx shoulder and chest height and that "built under" meant only up to the level of the worktop surface ?

The present unit is electric as will be the new purchase.... present configuration is classed as a large oven with small over and grill above.

Re the screws there are actually 8 very small screw positions but only six were used.
Thanks you both for your help

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:13 am

Built in ovens are designed to fit in a tower unit where there is no height restriction so the main oven will be larger than the top oven. A built under cannot be greater than 720mm in height overall so both top and main ovens are normally pretty much the same size.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:54 am