Replacing Ceiling Light in Garage with Fluorescent Tube
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Sheffordian
Apprentice
Apprentice

Replacing Ceiling Light in Garage with Fluorescent Tube

Post by Sheffordian » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:26 pm

Hi, I am looking to change from a normal light fitting to a fluorescent fitting in my garage. The light operates from two switches, one at the front and one at the rear of the garage.
I have attached photo's of the existing wiring and also the connection points in the tube fitting. Can someone please advise me which wires coming in to the ceiling connection block go where in the tube fitting. The three connection blocks in the tube are labeled N, E and L (top to bottom). Is it as simple as getting the red incoming wires connected to "L", the black wire to "N" and connecting the yellow and green wire to "E" ?

I am also going to put a fluorescent in the loft. I currently have an inspection lamp at the end of a three core wire and plug it in to a switched socket on the landing when I go into the loft. Is it as simple as just removing the inspection lamp and wiring the fluorescent, brown to "L", blue to "N" and green/yellow to "E"
Apologies if this is rock-bottom basic advice I am asking for but with electrics, some poor souls only ever make one mistake and I prefer not to.

Thanks in advance and kind regards
Ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Replacing Ceiling Light in Garage with Fluorescent Tube

Post by kbrownie » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:31 am

On you existing ceiling rose, you have 4 connection points:
*A switch line, that is where the single sleeved brown is terminated, this likely a a different colour core under the sleeve, possibly grey?
*A live loop, that is where the two single brown cores are terminated
*A neutral loop, that is where the single black core is terminate, this should really be sleeved blue!
*A earth terminal, this where the green/yellow sleeved cables are terminated

So at the new fitting you have:
* "L" which is where the switch line goes, single brown sleeved cable
* "N" which is where the neutral loop goes, single black core
* "E" which is where the earths go
* There is no live loop on the fitting, so are going to have manufacture this yourself. A spare 5A connector block/terminal is required, where the two remaining brown cores can be terminated together, to form the loop, this is then left safely within the light fitting cover.

With regards to loft lighting, really not a good idea having a plugged in fitting on the landing. ideally a hardwired set up in the loft would be much better.
But, yes if using a plug and flex, it is a simple as having, brown to live, blue to neutral and green/yellow to earth and having a 3A fuse in the plug.
I would also clip/secure the flex in the loft space to rafters/joist to prevent it accidentally being pulled loose and becoming an electrical danger.

Sheffordian
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Replacing Ceiling Light in Garage with Fluorescent Tube

Post by Sheffordian » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:01 pm

Thank you kbrownie, that's very helpful.

Sheffordian

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:46 pm