Replacing earth bonding under the kitchen sink
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rob2xx2
Apprentice
Apprentice

Replacing earth bonding under the kitchen sink

Post by rob2xx2 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:23 pm

Hi, I'm fitting a new stainless steel sink with mixer tap in place of the old one (also stainless). I removed the earth bonding wires and earth straps from the old system and want to check a couple of things before I replace them.

Under the sink, I intend to connect the cold water feed pipe and the hot water feed pipe to the sink itself.

1. Is there a particular configuration I should follow, or is it OK to use just two wires: cold <-> sink and hot <-> sink?

2. Are there any recommendations as to whether the earth straps be connected on the upstream or downstream side of things like service taps, elbows, pipe converters, etc?

I'm not making any changes to the existing earth bonding by the stop cock, although I might remove it and clean the pipe and strap - the whole thing looks very mucky and maybe a bit corroded.

Am I right in thinking that none of this needs a notification within the meaning of Part P?

Thanks!

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:50 pm

Hi Rob, as long as you are only replacing like for like on main bond then Ok not notifiable work.
As for pipe to sink, please your self about which way you do it as it's no longer mandatory to do at all! just good practice!
regards SPARX

rob2xx2
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by rob2xx2 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:21 pm

Thanks!

Dwolf
Labourer
Labourer

my sink

Post by Dwolf » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:38 pm

I have just ripped out an old sink unit and to be honest didn't take enough notice of what to earth with what. Is it just needing an earth to connect from both hot and cold supplies under the sink and then up to a point on the underside of the sink ? I'm sure I kind of remember it, but would like to get clarification.
.... in your other post you said it's not mandatory any longer to do the sink connection ?? Am i understanading this correctly, although as I will still do it, as you say, good practice.

Thanks
Dan

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:55 pm

Hi, Yup that's what I said 'no longer necessary, but still good practice',
this is not new, requirement for sinks ect to be bonded was removed some time ago, recommends a continuity test between pipes/sink act. if unsure,
regards SPARX

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:06 am