Replacing old Hallway Lighting Fittings With new and Advice on Wiring Needed
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Watson789
Labourer
Labourer

Replacing old Hallway Lighting Fittings With new and Advice on Wiring Needed

by Watson789 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:07 am

Hi all pretty new to this so please be gentle. I currently have 2 old light fitting in my hallway one upstairs and one down, there are also 2 switches one upstairs one downstairs. The Mrs has bought a sparkling new light fitting and the fitting has a live neutral and earth terminal block, however the old fitting has blocks with live and a loop live (I think I’m using correct terminology) and neutral with an earth point too.

What is the correct wiring method to connect to the new fitting?

Chris

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Replacing old Hallway Lighting Fittings With new and Advice on Wiring Needed

by Mr White » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:29 pm

The "problem" with most new light fittings is lack of space.
I would suggest you mark the cables with a marker pen, take several pictures, buy some 5Amp connector block (wago's would be better) connect the existing cables to the connector / wagos in the same configuration they are now and then connect the new light via a 3 core flex to the connectors.

So the answer to your question really is
"The wiring method should be the same as it is now"

If you don't connect the new light as it is now, then it will not work. You are in essence moving the old connections to connectors / wago's and connecting a flex to this.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:27 pm