Replacing Redundant Shower Isolator Switch With Shaver Socket
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
MarkCooke
Labourer
Labourer

Replacing Redundant Shower Isolator Switch With Shaver Socket

by MarkCooke » Mon May 01, 2017 10:36 am

Hi,

We have a redundant Shower Isolator switch in the bathroom and I was wondering if it's ok to replace it with a shaver socket?

Would I also need to change the MCB for a lower amp one?

Have checked distances and it's far enough away from the showerhead to be safe, and is on the wall, not on the ceiling.

Thanks,
Mark

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Replacing Redundant Shower Isolator Switch With Shaver Socket

by ericmark » Mon May 01, 2017 2:05 pm

Electrically OK, however not sure the wires would fit in the terminals for a shaver socket, as to legal bit not sure. The Part P documents are on line, you read and make your own mind up.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon May 01, 2017 9:31 pm

Should be fine to exchange iso for shaving point. No need to alter MCB, But things must be done safely, also does rcd protection exist on this circuit.
Terminals can normally only contain 4.00mm maximum cable size, so you will need to make a suitable joint to accommodate this.

MarkCooke
Labourer
Labourer

by MarkCooke » Mon May 01, 2017 10:38 pm

Thanks for the help, no RCD. I didn't get around to it today in the end and have an electrician coming later this week to look at other stuff, so will ask them to take a quick look. seems that I may need someone certificated to do it anyway, even if I did figure it out!

MarkCooke
Labourer
Labourer

by MarkCooke » Tue May 02, 2017 8:13 am

Thanks KS for the replies. I'd hoped to get to it over the weekend, but other jobs took longer, so didn't! But have an electrician coming on Thursday, and looking at Plan P it seems that I might not be allowed to do it anyway, so will ask them to take a look.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue May 02, 2017 8:13 pm

I am surprised the shower was not RCD protected. If you are having an electrician to visit, they will be best placed to advise you further.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:26 am