Replacing ring main wire.. Old wire snapped.
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
RedRed
Labourer
Labourer

Replacing ring main wire.. Old wire snapped.

by RedRed » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:06 pm

Hi

I was removing the back box of a double gang socket to replace a faulty one that was being held together with wood screws.

I removed the grommits and went to remove the back box. 2 wires were either already damaged or got caught on the back box with it lacking a grommit and have snapped.

From the top the neutral has snapped too short to be connected to the new faceplate.

From the bottom the live wire has snapped too short to be connected also.

I therefore need to replace these. I'm of the understanding that because it isn't a complete re-wire I don't need to notify anyone?

I wanted to check I have this right about the replacement. I just disconnect the corresponding 2core wire from the next socket, pull it through the conduit. I then feed the replacement wire through the conduit and reconnect it. Is that correct?

Also, one final question. Do the bottom wires go right, and the top wires go left, through the walls?

Thank you for any information.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:24 pm

As you a repair an already existing circuit your correct about notification,
Don't understand
[quote]Also, one final question. Do the bottom wires go right, and the top wires go left, through the walls?

There may an easier method if you can crimp cable on to the damaged cables.
KB[/quote]

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:57 pm