Replacing Soil and Vent Pipe
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
srkpoet
Labourer
Labourer

Replacing Soil and Vent Pipe

by srkpoet » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:47 pm

I have just been picking at the peeling paint on my soil and vent pipe. I have discovered some moss growing on it and on closer inspection there is a split in it. The split is in the branch which connects the toilet to the downpipe. I think this joint is possibly asbestos, it certainly isn't plastic.

If I need to replace the whole pipe, will it just pull through from where it goes through the roof? And is it a job for a competant DIYer?

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Cheers - Steve

thedrainman
Apprentice
Apprentice

by thedrainman » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:47 am

Hi, check to see if it is asbestos if it is you will need to get this removed by a specilist company. You may find that it is pitch fibre. I have been in the drainage business 17 years and have never seen an asbestos down pipe.

If you have a leak in it like you say them your best bet is to cut off but leave room to use a rubber type connector (Furnco) available from places like wicks and B&Q depots about £11 each. Cheeper from plumbers merchants (£7).

Replace with UPVC, will look better. Ensure to replace same length so the vent is 1 metre higher that the top window.

:D

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:51 pm