replacing wood floors with concrete.....Help and advice.
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
vw754
Ganger
Ganger

replacing wood floors with concrete.....Help and advice.

by vw754 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:36 am

Ive just got a new house and before i get any plastering work done,im thinking of getting the floors done.

The floors in the hall and kitchen are concrete but the 2 other rooms downstairs are wood and 1 has had some repairs carried out prior to me buying the house as you can see that the floorboards on some of the floor have been replaced with hardboard.

I dont want do all the house up and find a year later that my floors need doing so i would rather get it out the way now while the house is empty.
My questions are :

Why have the hall and kitchen got concrete floors already and the rooms got wood still ?
:roll:
How much could i look at paying for 2 rooms?

Any thing i should be wary of ?

Im worried if i get someone will the job be ok or is there ways i could be conned and left with a floor that may crack in time?
I have been assured by a few people that concrete will come ready mixed so it should all be ok :roll:

House is 3 bed semi built 1930-40's ex council/local authority

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:52 pm

VW,

MOST COUNCIL HOUSING STOCK I HAVE ENCOUNTERED ARE BUILT IN THE SAME FASHION AS YOURS IS.

THIS IS THE WAY THEY ARE, PART CONCRETE FLOORS AND PART TIMBER!!!

WHY DO YOU WANT TO REMOVE TIMBER FLOORS?

IF IT AINT BROKE, DONT FIX IT!!!

ALDA.

vw754
Ganger
Ganger

by vw754 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:39 pm

Would you say concrete floors are better than timber floors? if i replaced them say.......3 years from now would i need to re-decorate would there be alot mess involved ?

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:54 pm

VW,

I PREFER TIMBER TO CONCRETE.

THEY BOTH HAVE ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES, AND I WOULD SAY, STICK WITH WHAT YOU HAVE.
IF THE BOARDS ARE NOT VERY GOOD, THINK ABOUT REPLACING WITH NEW.

IF YOU PROCEDE WITH THE CONCRETE, BE PREPAIRED FOR MESS, EXSPENSE AND TIME DISRUPTION, AND YES YOU WILL HAVE TO RE-DECORATE AFTERWARDS IF YOU CHOOSE TO DO IT AT A LATER DATE.

ONE OTHER THOUGHT, WHAT DO YOU HAVE IN MIND FOR THE UPSTAIRS FLOORING???

ALDA.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:04 pm