Replasterboarding a ceiling
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ChunkyEnoch
Labourer
Labourer

Replasterboarding a ceiling

by ChunkyEnoch » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:19 pm

recently moved into a house and the ceilings are not only all artex but the boards have been replaced at some point and its very uneven. my previous house i skimmed over the artex and did a decent job, this time however i think that a skim will not be enough. i can get help to lift boards up to the ceiling and fix them and then skim, is this the best option or should i take all the boards down and start again. Im wondering if putting new boards up and ensuring they are level and fix them with screws would give me a flat surface to skim. What should i do?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Replasterboarding a ceiling

by welsh brickie » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:36 pm

plaster over the plasterboard with bonding you can level the ceiling out ready for final skim coat.Paint a pva solution on the artex first.

BristolPlaster
Labourer
Labourer

by BristolPlaster » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:38 pm

Hello there,
I've seen some really bad artex ceilings in my time and if you wanted them spot on then you'd have to lay the bonding on half inch thick. Thats a lot of weight on the board over your head. If the ceiling is really bad i'd suggest just rip it down and re-board it. Just take your time, stagger the joints and use lots of fixings.

ChunkyEnoch
Labourer
Labourer

by ChunkyEnoch » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:24 am

Thanks for the advice i think reboarding the ceiling is what might be best. ive actually recently reinsulated the loft and i gues it could get messy, but it seems the best choice if a lot a work.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:20 am