Repoint or Repair Dodgy Mortar Joints Causing Damp Patch in Toilet?
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
zebra100
Labourer
Labourer

Repoint or Repair Dodgy Mortar Joints Causing Damp Patch in Toilet?

by zebra100 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:23 pm

Hi,

Having recently purchased my first house I am starting to notice all the niggly issues that weren't picked up at viewing's/survey.

I have a patch of damp in my toilet which I think may be down to dodgy DPC or gaps in the mortar below the DPC (although I haven't ruled out plumbing just yet).

_MG_9202.jpg

_MG_9201.jpg

It looks like some repairs may have been carried out in the past, but they need redoing. There have also been some alterations to the property (bricked up windows and back door, and French doors put in the living room) and I don't think the builder has used lime mortar which I understand may cause issues in the future.

The house was built around 1930, and there are a number of spalled bricks which will also require attention at some point.

What are the considerations of undertaking repairs to the mortar?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Chris.

zebra100
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Repoint or Repair Dodgy Mortar Joints Causing Damp Patch in Toilet?

by zebra100 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:36 pm

Just a quick update.

I noticed that the concrete surrounding our water meter had sank three or four inches. I also noticed that there was a crack in the concrete further along the drive (possibly caused by the meter dropping) where I believe the water pipe runs (you can see it on the left hand side of the second picture). This crack coincides with the damp patch on the wall. I am wondering if this could have caused a slight leak under the corner of the house?

Anyway, we have had Anglian Water come out and repair the meter housing; lifting up the meter and installing a new housing and cover. Since then, the damp patch appears to be drying out. Is this coincidence? I am baffled.

Any suggestions?

I shall post some more pictures when I get a chance.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:08 am