repointing a stone wall
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Bob Chalk
Labourer
Labourer

repointing a stone wall

Post by Bob Chalk » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:28 pm

I need to repoint the gable end of my small stone cottage. Over the years different parts appear to have be pointed with cement based mortar but the original appears to be lime based. I have been advised to use a rich cement mix but think that this will be too hard compared to the original.
What morter mix would you recommend for this job?

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

repointing a stone wall

Post by Perry525 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:12 pm

Your walls would have been laid with a lime based mortar and should be pointed with a lime based product.
Put up Lime on the net, there are many sites, several suppliers, different ideas. A lime based wall will be moving all the time, lime mortar moves and cracks, gets wet, reforms endlessly.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

repointing

Post by welsh brickie » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:09 pm

use 1 part cement to 4 parts sharp sand and 1 part lime

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:53 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:55 am