Repointing Bath Stone
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
BrokeBloke
Labourer
Labourer

Repointing Bath Stone

by BrokeBloke » Fri May 06, 2011 12:58 am

Gotta be done. The 18" thick solid wall leaks. Big wet patches inside, in the winter. Fortunately the affected area is all accessible at ground level. Probably the rest of the wall needs doing too...not getting it done yet though.

Cottage was built late 1800s - so lime mortar? Stonework not finely cut but rather more rustic (read, rough). Looks like someone might have had a go at the repointing before.

Any special things I should be aware of with external repointing, this type of stone, this old a cottage, etc etc? Do I add something to improve waterproofness? Elsewhere, repointing locally seems to be done using a thick mortar that stands proud of the wall, looks really ugly, but is that a recommended technique? Anything else I should be aware of?

I watched the video on repointing and have repointed a chimney internally before. (Please don't suggest getting anyone in, I'm on JSA, got time but not much money.)

Thanks for your help.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

pointing

by welsh brickie » Fri May 06, 2011 7:34 pm

use a mix of 1 lime 1 cement 4 sharp sand and buy a finger trowel.Rake out any loose material and repoint,measure the mix carefully or it will dry in various shades, take your time.
When its fully hardened mix a solution of pva with water and paint the wal,its clear when dried so it will help to seal the wall from future water ingress

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:27 pm