Retaining Wall, Reinforced
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
burger
Labourer
Labourer

Retaining Wall, Reinforced

by burger » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:19 pm

Hi All

I am planning to build a retaining wall 1900mm high, by the advice of this site (https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/retainingwall.htm) and the hight being 4 times the thickness that would mean it needs to be 475mm thick which is huge.

However it says that reinforcing the wall doubles it strength. Does that really mean i can halve the width to 237mm. If this is the case I was thinking of 2 block skins 100mm wide with a 50mm gap with reinforced steel and filled with concrete.

Am I correct and this will be OK?

I am sure that my math is OK but what I want to check is that by reinforcing the wall I can actually half the width of it. It seems too easy an answer.

If I am, the foundations need to be twice the width of the wall so 500mm?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

retaining wall

by welsh brickie » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:27 pm

Im afraid the diy doctor is right,if your building a wall that high and the subtance behind it is to the height of the wall you will need it to be 450mm thick minimum plus you will need drainage in the wall.
I would seek proffesional help before starting.

burger
Labourer
Labourer

Re: retaining wall

by burger » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:06 am

[quote="welsh brickie"]Im afraid the diy doctor is right,if your building a wall that high and the subtance behind it is to the height of the wall you will need it to be 450mm thick minimum plus you will need drainage in the wall.
I would seek proffesional help before starting.[/quote]

Hi thanks for your reply, what I am really unsure of is does reinforcing the wall mean i can half the width as it says it doubles the strength.

Burger

m7ohn
Tradesman
Tradesman

by m7ohn » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:59 am

Hi Burger, how's your wall going?

I built a retaining wall of similar height 3 years ago. It was just under 2 metres high, 1.95m
I took professional advice and the wall construction went like this :

first 5 courses were blocks placed lenghtwise so the wall's width was 440mm to start.
Next 5 courses were blocks placed flat so wall width was 220mm.
Finally the last 2 courses were blocks upright so wall's width was 150mm.
We used 150mm thick blocks not the standard 100mm thick ones.

The back of the wall was stepped with the front face flat. Drainage by way of perforated pipe was used going into a soak away.

I was retaining my neighbours garden.

6 months ago my neighbour got planning permission to build an extension and has now excavated his garden down to the same level as mine for the full length of my wall!!! Bloody typical if only i had know.

Anyhow the wall is now demolished and there are wooden panels in its place. Hell of a job to demolish the wall mind.

Marcus

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:40 pm