Returning a gas fireplace to a coal fireplace
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jeff McG
Labourer
Labourer

Returning a gas fireplace to a coal fireplace

by Jeff McG » Wed May 28, 2008 9:18 am

Hi,
Not sure if this is eactly the right thread to post this on but hopefully someone can help.
I have moved into a house with a fireplace that is semi-converted to gas. It has a pipe that runs from the side of the chimney breast under the floor an up through the base of the fire - ready for a gas fire. The problem is I don't want a gas fire. So I intend to try and remove the pipe from the base of the fireplace. Its an insulated pipe though and I was wondering if anyone knows how far down I need to dig it out and what I need to do to it and the base of the fireplace before its ready for a coal fire.
Thanks in anticipation

Jeff

stevenc1603
Ganger
Ganger

by stevenc1603 » Thu May 29, 2008 12:40 pm

OK, firstly you have two problems.

1. The gas pipe. By law you are not allowed to add to, remove, or otherwise modify the gas supply pipes within your property unless you have been trained to the relevant standards. You may have heard of the term CORGI registered. Unless you have this qualification leave well alone and get in a pro. I believe you can get the jail if its proved you modified the pipe and subsequently there was a problem that caused an explosion!

2. The chimney may have been adapted by having a flue inserted in it in readiness for a gas fire. If it has then it will need to be changed back to take a coal fire in its place.

HTH

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu May 29, 2008 3:29 pm

Also

Alot of areas now are smokeless zones - you cannot use solid fuel - worth checking before alteration. You can use smokeless fuel.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:37 pm