Reusing Existing Wiring After Removing Storage Heaters
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Heckler
Labourer
Labourer

Reusing Existing Wiring After Removing Storage Heaters

Post by Heckler » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:10 pm

Hi

Hope you can help with a query.

My house used to have storage heaters, but now has central heating... I had the old consumer unit that was just for the storage heaters disconnected but the wall boxes and all of the wiring remains.

As I am currently going through room to room renovating the entire house, and the house was last rewired 20 or more years ago (aside from these storage heaters)... I need to rewire each room as I go because previous owner didn't fit enough sockets and couldn't even be bothered to recess back boxes... Looks like they simply bolted a double socket to the wall over the top of a single... In some cases the original house wiring (50's build) had the light switches in the door frames and sockets in the skirting... So as you can imagine, it's a full on redo job.

So what I'd like to do to make it quicker and easier, is fit a new a larger consumer unit and then use the existing wiring to the old storage heaters, and rewire each room from there... This would in effect mean that each bedroom will be on it's own circuit and can be done individually. I can then do the same with the bathroom next year and will only need to channel a couple of places for light switches (I want to flip the doors so they open against wall instead of middle of room).

As I'll be moving a radiator to a better position at the same time as knocking out a cupboard and re-plastering the wall & ceiling and all knew skirting would be fitted... can I use the MDF skirting that has a rebate on the back for cabling?

I could then run the wiring and everything myself and just have a certified electrician come in and fit the new consumer unit and connect everything together. I have plenty of experience and although I never trained as an electrician I did do it as part of my apprenticeship and have rewired many things over the years... but the laws have changed and I want to make sure that I do things right so I don't risk running afoul of anything that is illegal or could invalidate insurance or stuff like that.

Cheers

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Reusing Existing Wiring After Removing Storage Heaters

Post by kbrownie » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:56 pm

Is it you that is installing new CU and altering the circuits, if so you will need to make an application to your LABC prior to starting this work.

Heckler
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Heckler » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:02 am

No, I won't be installing a new consumer unit, that's beyond me... but I can run some cabling around the room and just get the electrician to hook it up.

But I need to know if the existing wiring to the now removed storage heater, can be used to run a new circuit around the bedroom.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:43 pm

Routing cables requires conforming to regulations, do you know the regulations concerning permitted safe zones and part A of building regs with regards to chasing walls and notching/holing of joists ?

With regards to using the old heater circuits, that would depend on the condition of them and if they are fit for continued service.

I strongly recommend you get an electrician to agree to look at your installation and agree to take responsibility and sign off your work.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:48 pm