rewiring ceiling rose
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lewis
Labourer
Labourer

rewiring ceiling rose

by lewis » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:02 pm

Hi
I have just moved into my new house and there is no central light in the middle of the room. There is a light down the one end but this is not sufficient to light a 25 foot lounge. I would like have a light in the centre of the room. Firstly, Is it possible to wire into the the ceiling fitting of the light up the far end of the lounge secondly can I then run the wire to where I want it across the celing? Note that my floor is laminated upstairs so cannot take up boards to feed wire through, also I think the joists are running thre wrong way to feed any wires through (would be quite difficult). However, I plan to have my ceiling skimmed as it has artex, I therefore wondered if we run a small furrow through the artex and then plastered over this - would thid work??

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:32 pm

Absolutely not Lewis. Any cable must be in the floor/ceiling void and notched through the joists. or fitted to the surface in suitable conduit or trunking. It is very dangerous to bury cables anywhere.

lewis
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring ceiling rose

by lewis » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:23 am

Hi Doctor

Thank you for your reply. I read about wall chasers and thought I could do the same with the lights? Have you any other suggestions on how to address this, bearing in mind I have laminated flooring upstairs so cannot access from above.

Thanks

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:36 am

If you cannot get into the floor void then cables can only be placed in trunking which can be fixed to the surface. Even in the walls (chases) cables must be placed in a conduit. No cable must be buried anywhere without protection

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:37 pm

MANY OF THE ANSWERS TO YOUR POSTS CAN BE FOUND, WITH DIAGRAMS, IN THE DIYDOCTOR PROJECTS SECTION. CLICK HERE www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:14 pm