rewiring chandelier
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
big sp
Labourer
Labourer

rewiring chandelier

Post by big sp » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:39 pm

I bought an old chandelier recently and I'm attempting to rewire it. I would like to do it to recent specifications (quoted everywhere) but can't seem to find out what they are! Can anyone help?? It's metal, five arms, doesn't seem to have an earth, just live and neutral.

moggy1968
Ganger
Ganger

Post by moggy1968 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:03 am

you must have an earth on a metal fitting, otherwise, if a conductor comes out (which happens more often than you might think) the whole fitting could become live, which will be entertaining next time you try and change a bulb!!
can you tap an earth onto the fitting somewhere?
if you can't get an earth then you absolutely must not use this fitting.

big sp
Labourer
Labourer

Post by big sp » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:01 pm

Thanks for that - in newer chandeliers i've seen earth wire going to the main body of the fitting but not the arms. I'll try that.

marconii
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: rewiring chandelier

Post by marconii » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:56 pm

[quote="big sp"]I bought an old chandelier recently and I'm attempting to rewire it. I would like to do it to recent specifications (quoted everywhere) but can't seem to find out what they are! Can anyone help?? It's metal, five arms, doesn't seem to have an earth, just live and neutral.[/quote]

YOU MUST have an earth...........even if your fitting doesnt mention an earth......some older fittings will not give this requirement..!!

mark

big sp
Labourer
Labourer

Re: rewiring chandelier

Post by big sp » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:47 pm

[quote="marconii"][quote="big sp"]I bought an old chandelier recently and I'm attempting to rewire it. I would like to do it to recent specifications (quoted everywhere) but can't seem to find out what they are! Can anyone help?? It's metal, five arms, doesn't seem to have an earth, just live and neutral.[/quote]

YOU MUST have an earth...........even if your fitting doesnt mention an earth......some older fittings will not give this requirement..

So...... this chandelier didn't have an earth before, what's the best way to go about installing it. I've seen some newer chandeliers with earth to the main body, via a connection to the main stem,not the arms. I've seen others with an earth wire connection soldered to a metal part. Can I get these connectors ready to fit? Also I've seen metal light fittings on the market with no earth but the double insulated sign. Does this mean if i use double insulated wire ie cable, i'm covered?

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:56 pm