Ring main cable runs
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
micky13
Labourer
Labourer

Ring main cable runs

by micky13 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:32 pm

I am in the process of buying an older house with solid ground floors and various wiring projects to be completed. Can I run the living room ring main cable behind the skirting board, cut into the plaster etc at ground floor then take it up vertically to the sockets. If so does it need to be in conduit and are there regs regarding the depth to be sunk.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:56 pm

Hi If you're putting in a new circuit then part-p regs apply so either must be done by registered leckie or you must pay fee to LABC for someone to inspect your work,
in answer to your ?'s in order, 150 mm from any 90deg. corner is considered 'safe zone' to run cables so now making skirting & coving to cover cables.
vert up/down [or horizontally between fittings] is OK without any mechanical protection or any particular depth.
If not running thus then either must be 50mm below surface or in earthed metal covering.
It is more traditional/normal to wire from above with vert drops to start/finish outlet of circuit, & either chase between outlets or go back up under floor & down agn. lots of chasing/mess but times change methods,
regards SPARX

micky13
Labourer
Labourer

by micky13 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:12 pm

Hi SPARX

Thanks for your help. I have rewired my last 2 houses but haven't done one since the part-P regs. I intend getting a reg. leckie to do the consumer unit, tails etc then I will do the runs, channelling, wiring etc myself and have it all inspected, tested and signed off as required. Is that OK?

Lastly (for the moment), I am a bit unsure about the part of your reply
" 150mm from any 90 deg corner................ to cover cables." Could you elaborate please?

Regards micky13

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:16 pm

Hi agn Micky,
reg. corners.
it has been determined that in order not to have someone of reasonable intelligence pierce a buried cable runs should be in certain places called 'Safe Zones',
Thus if you have a socket /switch etc. on a wall it is thought most people might expect to find a wire going either directly up/down, or side ways between 2 or more fittings.
Further if you wanted to hang a picture/barometer/coat hook/thermostat etc. it is unlikely you would do so within 150mm/6" of a corner or door frame or ceiling/floor, so these are also deemed 'Safe Zones' in which to run cables.
If on a piece of paper you drew a border around edges,with a socket in the centre which had a band drawn left to right and up & down around it it would look like St. Georges flag, these are basic safe zones. hope that comes out something like I intend....
You can run in other areas but must then either bury over 50mm deep or cover with earthed metal covering... not easy some new-build kwik build houses have walls less than 100mm thick so are having to run wiring in screened cable to conform..caravan/park homes for sure.

As for DIY the leckie will have to agree to let you do some of it yourself as his cert will say he did it all himself, as con. unit, any new circuit, any work in kitchen, bathroom, outside of house, must be registered with blg control either by you paying a fee or by him through his scheme provider.
B.W. SPARX

micky13
Labourer
Labourer

by micky13 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:02 pm

Thanks again SPARX. I am still working on the St George's Cross but I get the idea. V. helpfuk, thanks

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:37 am