Ring main extended to conservatory - legal?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
BobAjob2
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ring main extended to conservatory - legal?

by BobAjob2 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:08 pm

I've traced an extended ring main in my house out into the conservatry and I'm not sure whether it's safe or legal.
The cable goes from a socket, behind plasterboard and around the internal corner of the room, out through the outside wall of the house into the conservatory. Down the inside of the plasterboard and under the wooden floor and onto the sockets in the conservatory. Then back again.

Inside the conservatory all looks OK but it's the bit inside the house that concerns me.

Difficult to explain.

Mitch
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Mitch » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:23 pm

Hi Bob,

I'm not a qualified sparkie, but I have had two conservatorys built and wired by pro's. What they usually do is to take a spur off the nearest socket on the ring which leads directly to a fused connection unit in the conservatory.

My copy of the regs says that you can do more or less what you want on the other side of that FCU. So, I've seen 3 double sockets, lighting and an air con unit all off that FCU.

The point being that the FCU protects the rest of the circuit, of course I stand to be corrected by our more learned members.

cheers
Mitch

ericmark

by ericmark » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:48 pm

Nothing you say seems to contravene and regulations but if you are not sure then get a periodic inspection report done. Should be done anyway on change of occupant or every ten years.
One can extend a ring main so long as it tests out OK. But the tests are not really DIY work.
Eric

TOPSPARK
Ganger
Ganger

by TOPSPARK » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:09 pm

If you are worried about the ring main I agree with eric why not call in a qualified electrician and have a full preiodic inspection and test done.If all is ok then you will have peace of mind and know all is alright for upto 10 more years but most sparks advise 5 years for a periodic inspection what with all the appliances used these days
regards
Topspark

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:26 am