risk of kitchen ceiling collapse
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gunthos
Labourer
Labourer

risk of kitchen ceiling collapse

Post by gunthos » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:26 am

We are due to be getting a new kitchen soon and in order to do this we need a b'fast bar removing. now above this there is a wooden structure which seems to be suppoting the ceiling above. there is also evidence that there used to be a wall here which divided the kitchen and dining room, which has since been replaced by this suppoting structure.
i am worried that when the kitchen people remove this structure it may cause the celing to come down. any help would be much appreciated.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:54 am

Hi gunthos,
How long have you had the house and when you bought it was there any documention regarding a supporting wall being removed.
If you have fears that the wall could be falling down you should contact a structual engineer and get them to have a look. Firstly I would consider contacting the council (building controls) to see if there has been any structual work done on the property before your purchase.
It could be nothing, but you need to find out.
I'd keep the wooden joist there for now, it may need replacing or re-fitting. If there was once a dividing wall there, I'd presume it's been installed to support the above floor.
KB

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1