Questions and answers on many aspects of soundproofing areas of your home

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
truebluedom
Apprentice
Apprentice

Rockwool Sound Insulation Slabs and Sound Insulation Qualities

by truebluedom » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:47 pm

Hi all,

anyone used Rockwool Sound Insulation Slabs, they look like a good option for me, easy to slide under the floorboards.

Just keen to see if anyone has used and can advise on how much soundproofing they provide. Im looking at the 100mm think ones.

Thanks

Dom

1r0n1c
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Rockwool Sound Insulation Slabs and Sound Insulation Qualities

by 1r0n1c » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:16 pm

I installed Rockwool all across my 1st floor between the floorboards as my plan was to lay down laminate or engineered wood flooring instead of carpeting.

I can say that I'm very satisfied, footsteps are hard to hear and sometimes, when me and my wife are in separate floors, we need to shout to each other really loud in order to establish basic communication.

Not sure which thickness I went for but definitely less than 100mm (was about £35 per slab package of ~8 sq.m if it helps). I think 100mm would be too much though, unless you're insulating a rehearsal room?

truebluedom
Apprentice
Apprentice

by truebluedom » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:21 am

1r0n1c wrote:I installed Rockwool all across my 1st floor between the floorboards as my plan was to lay down laminate or engineered wood flooring instead of carpeting.

I can say that I'm very satisfied, footsteps are hard to hear and sometimes, when me and my wife are in separate floors, we need to shout to each other really loud in order to establish basic communication.

Not sure which thickness I went for but definitely less than 100mm (was about £35 per slab package of ~8 sq.m if it helps). I think 100mm would be too much though, unless you're insulating a rehearsal room?

Thanks very much, there is a massive gap (at least 150mm) under our floorboards so am going to try the 100mm initially under the baby's room over the garage as i want that to be as soundproofed as possible then perhaps look at the 50mm thickness for the rest, although i dont know if they do that thickness in the 400mm width (perfect for between my joists)

Yes i picked up a couple of packs from Wicks this morning, as about £26/27 per pack.

Thanks again for the reply.

1r0n1c
Labourer
Labourer

by 1r0n1c » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:18 pm

For a baby's room / nursery over the garage I'd go for the best possible thermal instead of sound insulation. Just my $0.02

truebluedom
Apprentice
Apprentice

by truebluedom » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:53 am

1r0n1c wrote:For a baby's room / nursery over the garage I'd go for the best possible thermal instead of sound insulation. Just my $0.02

Thanks, no issues interns of heat loss, quite the opposite to in fact. We have in the past used the garage as a home gym so unless there is decent soundproofing it become useless when we actually want to use it.

Also not having bought these slabs, looking at them they must have decent thermal properties naturally.

I’ll update once I get them down.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:19 am