Roller Marks on Wall Even After Several Coats
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Andrew1967
Labourer
Labourer

Roller Marks on Wall Even After Several Coats

by Andrew1967 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:09 am

I've recently painted the spare bedroom and on three walls the finished result is good, but on one wall there are obvious vertical roller marks all along it. I think it's partly due to the way the light falls on it - it's a long wall with a window at 90 degrees at the end and the door at the opposite end, and light shines onto it side on its whole length . At some times of day it looks really bad; at other times it's ok. When standing directly facing it, and in artificial light it's ok from any angle. I'm just wondering what could be done to fix this as - needless to say the unflattering angle from the hall and on immediately entering the room is the one from which everyone sees it most of the time.

Part of the problem might be that I accidentally painted the whole room with one coat of satin instead of matt, but I lightly sanded down the wall (it has lining paper) to create a key and then painted the matt version of the same colour on top. I've done several coats and the result is the same same.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks!!

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Roller Marks on Wall Even After Several Coats

by proptech » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:04 pm

Hi Andrew1967

I would suggest you have a problem with your rolling technique. You need to roll in all directions to obtain an even coat, then finish off very lightly vertically. There shouldn't be any marks at all. The roller you have may not be much good either. you would probably find a professional version far better (they are a larger diameter, and better choice of sleeves)

Sounds like you need to rub down to remove the marks, and re-coat, a micro-fibre sleeve would be good on the smooth surface.

Andrew1967
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Roller Marks on Wall Even After Several Coats

by Andrew1967 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:34 pm

Thanks, proptech!

I'll try again with a different technique and hope for a better result.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:51 am