Roof Advice Please for Replacing Rotten Fascias, Rendering and Ridge Tiles
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

andyhuk
Labourer
Labourer

Roof Advice Please for Replacing Rotten Fascias, Rendering and Ridge Tiles

by andyhuk » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:52 pm

Hi

I need to undertake some roof repair, this consists of replacing rotten fascia board, re-applying some render, replacing ridge tiles, replacing some guttering and adding plastic covers to the roof verges. This will cost about 2k.

The house was built in the 1970's and a couple of tradesmen have suggested considering replacing the entire roof at the same time for about 4 - 5k including the roof repairs I mentioned earlier.

The logic behind there suggestion of replacing the entire roof is the following:

1. Cheaper to replace the roof now along with the repairs, vs doing the repairs now and then replacing the roof in 5 - 10 years.
2. The house was built in 1970's and tile slate roofs only last about 40 years so its due replacement.
3. The way the tiles have been originally placed on the roof could be better, there is minimal overlap on the tiles and under the tiles there are drips of water getting through to the wood beams. (Not causing any issues or rotting the wood or anything but could be better)

We have recently brought this house and will probably stay in it for the next 10/20 years.

Do I purely go for the roof repairs for 2k or go big bang and replace the entire roof at the same time? I don't know how often roofs should be replaced really.

Could do with some advice please.

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:33 pm