Roof Leak Advice for new Home Owner Needed
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Xerphiel
Labourer
Labourer

Roof Leak Advice for new Home Owner Needed

by Xerphiel » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:06 pm

Hi all,

New home owner here, looking for some advice.

Bought a house 1 month ago, full building survey, no issues noted regarding roof or loft void.

After the huge amount of rain yesterday noticed a wet patch in the corner of an upstairs room, on the chimney corner.

I then went into the loft and above the leak area and found rotting timbers.

It doesn't look great, looks like the timber could be rotten/rotting. And some felt has fallen away from the roof. I suspect the chimney flashing could be at fault.

I'm suprised the survey didnt pick this up. Wondering whether I could attempt repair work myself, although I expect a builder/roofer will be required here.

Any thoughts, advice? Any ideas on the potential costs of this sort of work?

Many thanks,

X

gavin1984
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Roof Leak Advice for new Home Owner Needed

by gavin1984 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:44 am

Where ever there are joints/overlaps on a roof there is a risk of water entry if they have not been sealed properly,so likely you are right that the flashings around the chimney should be replaced.
As of course you will need to get on the roof and repair from the outside I am not sure if you can DIY. Otherwise it would be pretty simple by just getting you hands on some Flash band (self adhesive bitumen tape protected by an aluminium film) and applying it to the chimney (like the attached) You can find this in B&Q, wicks etc. Go for 15cm x 10mt rolls. Make sure you follow application instructions, dry and dust free surface or use a primer and let dry properly, just cut and stick.
App pic should look like this.
Attachments
chimney flashing.png

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:23 am