roof repair
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

12 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bramblefly
Labourer
Labourer

roof repair

Post by bramblefly » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:18 pm

I have a cold roof that has sarking board made from chipboard that has been coated with hot bitumin. There is no roofing felt and the plain tiles are on tile battons over counter battons on this 70's extension. Some of the chipboard shows signs of water damage and the valley between the extension roof and the original house is leaking. I intend to replace the valley with a GRP one and damaged boards but thought it would be a good idea to put felt on the extension roof. Should I use breathable or non breathable felt and should it go straight on the bitumin covered sarking board or on the counter battens over the board?

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:53 pm

See our projects on flat roofing and flat roof repairs. Both contain products that will outlive felt by many years and are far easier to work with.

bramblefly
Labourer
Labourer

Post by bramblefly » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:05 pm

You have not interpreted my post correctly. This is NOT a flat roof but a plain tiled pitched roof with no roofing felt underneath the tiles. Instead it has been close boarded with chipboard and then bitumen applied presumably to waterproof the chipboard and do the job that felt would normally do. I want to take off the tiles repair the water damaged boards and then put roofing felt on and re-tile. My question is do I use breathable or non breathable felt - it is a cold roof so I think I can use non breathable. Do I put the felt straight onto the bitumised chipboard or over the counterbattons and beneath the tile battons. I have read widely about roof construction and insulation but have not seen this type of set up mentioned anywhere. Thanks

Ktay
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Ktay » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:54 am

We have recently completed a pitched roof with damaged board, replaced the damaged board, put breathable membrane on top(start from top to bottom and length ways with you're membrane) and then baton the membrane down. We got the breathable membrane from B&Q at about £47 per roll 26m/1m.

oldboiler
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by oldboiler » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:00 am

You reqiure a felt underlay. Bitumen on its own is no substitute.

exzina
Labourer
Labourer

I want to do a few things to my house

Post by exzina » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:17 am

Hi friends, I have a lovely room and I am looking for good information to give it a new attraction. I want to do a few things to my house over the summer and would love some help, maybe reference to good websites. I want to learn to replace the plastic laminate floors with Ceramic tile, and also need to replace some faulty electrical outlets. I need some comments on other ideas to boost home value and appearance. Thanks.

exzina
Labourer
Labourer

I want to do a few things to my house

Post by exzina » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:25 am

Hi friends, I have a lovely room and I am looking for good information to give it a new attraction. I want to do a few things to my house over the summer and would love some help, maybe reference to good websites. I want to learn to replace the plastic laminate floors with Ceramic tile, and also need to replace some faulty electrical outlets. I need some comments on other ideas to boost home value and appearance. Thanks.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by TheDoctor4 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:53 am

Hi Exzina

Have you checked out the DIY Doctor projects section:

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm

Theres a wealth of information and advice!!

Cheers

crishtina
Labourer
Labourer

Post by crishtina » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:30 am

I have a100 year’s old house, with good plaster and woodwork, so I don't want it to get ruined. But it is leaking over the staircase going to the upstairs. The house has a few layers of shingles already and a flat tar roof over the staircase.... the flat roof has a valley from the peak of the main house. I cannot afford to put another roof on till next year - so how can I fix this? Can I take off the flat roof and replace it?

crishtina
Labourer
Labourer

Post by crishtina » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:32 am

I have a100 year’s old house, with good plaster and woodwork, so I don't want it to get ruined. But it is leaking over the staircase going to the upstairs. The house has a few layers of shingles already and a flat tar roof over the staircase.... the flat roof has a valley from the peak of the main house. I cannot afford to put another roof on till next year - so how can I fix this? Can I take off the flat roof and replace it?

Ctroberts
Labourer
Labourer

Re: roof repair

Post by Ctroberts » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:48 pm

[quote="bramblefly"]I have a cold roof that has sarking board made from chipboard that has been coated with hot bitumin. There is no roofing felt and the plain tiles are on tile battons over counter battons on this 70's extension. Some of the chipboard shows signs of water damage and the valley between the extension roof and the original house is leaking. I intend to replace the valley with a GRP one and damaged boards but thought it would be a good idea to put felt on the extension roof. Should I use breathable or non breathable felt and should it go straight on the bitumin covered sarking board or on the counter battens over the board?[/quote]

Ctroberts
Labourer
Labourer

Re: roof repair

Post by Ctroberts » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:51 pm

[quote="bramblefly"]I have a cold roof that has sarking board made from chipboard that has been coated with hot bitumin. There is no roofing felt and the plain tiles are on tile battons over counter battons on this 70's extension. Some of the chipboard shows signs of water damage and the valley between the extension roof and the original house is leaking. I intend to replace the valley with a GRP one and damaged boards but thought it would be a good idea to put felt on the extension roof. Should I use breathable or non breathable felt and should it go straight on the bitumin covered sarking board or on the counter battens over the board?[/quote]

Don't like the sound of water damaged chipboard. Can only get worse. Really consider replacing with treated sarking. Breathable membrane now required by building regs but has the advantage of requiring no soffit or other vents as far as I know. Good luck!

12 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:00 am