Roof Repair Undertaken Without Confirmation - Help Needed
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gs1983
Labourer
Labourer

Roof Repair Undertaken Without Confirmation - Help Needed

Post by gs1983 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:16 pm

I'm looking for some advice about a ridge repair (see photo)

P1090629-3.jpg

Here is the chain of events leading up to now:-

I emailed a number of companies asking for estimate for repair of ridge tile, as it had moved
The same day I got an email with an invoice attached, saying their company had come to do the estimate, and as they were there anyway, they decided just to do the job, had charged the minimum possible, and attached an invoice
When I looked at the repair, which looks ok from the front, but the rear looks as if they have used far too much mortar, and you can barely see the ridge behind the tile
I emailed them saying I was unhappy that they had gone ahead and done the work, and that the repair looked messy
I got a reply back saying they were trying to be proactive, you will always see new concrete on a repair like that, and they will cancel the charge

Should I take it any further and ask them to repair to a decent standard? If so, what about payment?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bwindustries
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Roof Repair Undertaken Without Confirmation - Help Needed

Post by bwindustries » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:36 am

The ridge tiles on your roof are those that run across the apex of a pitched roof and they come in a variety of finishes and materials, although many will be terracotta or brick colour. These tiles provide a neat cap to your roof and they will be very noticeable if they become broken or missing. It is fairly rare for these ridge tiles to come loose, but if you spot any that are damaged or missing then you should get in touch with a roofer to make repairs and ensure that no further damage is done. Ridge tiles can often be damaged by high winds or by reactions to snow or frost. Falling ridge tiles are very dangerous and missing tiles of this kind can mean that your roof will eventually leak. It is always best to get any roofing problems checked over by a professional, they will be able to spot any loose tiles or slates that may become problematic, as well as replacing or repairing your ridge tiles.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:51 am