Roof vents tiles
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Gazz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Roof vents tiles

by Gazz » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:10 pm

Hi There

After a previous posting on here it was idetified that I have a condensation problem in my roof space, therefore I have contacted my local roofer and he states my 3 sided roof will require 6 "single tile" size roof vents placing two thirds of the way up each roof side and each vent is more a less placed at the same level. I was wondering if anyone can offer me any help in where I should place these vent tiles?, ie should one be at the bottom and one near the top of each side of the roof(to create a flow effect)? , or will placing them 2 thirds of the way up sort the problem?. the price of this work is quote is £240, is this the normal price etc?. Also will rain find its way in thereafter?

Many Thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:33 pm

Gazz,
I would always fit at low and high level to assist air flow.
You should not get water ingress whatever type is fitted.
The cost of the 6 vents is likely to be about £100 so the quoted price is about right.
end

Gazz
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Gazz » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:34 pm

Hi There

Many Thanks for the advice, I had also heard that its best to place the tiles at the top and bottom but wasnt sure with the roofers saying different.

Cheers

SPUD1701
Tradesman
Tradesman

by SPUD1701 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:03 pm

Hi

Roof vents to be place at high and low levels.

equiv of 5mm continous at ridge and between 10 - 25 mm at soffitt depending on pitch of roof.

Google "harcon.co.uk"

There website under roof ventilation talks about roof ventilation, condensation etc and gives diagrams

Hope this helps

Gazz
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Gazz » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:15 pm

Many thanks for the help, I will have a look at their webisite info, and take it from there. I have also increased the amount of insulation in the roof space to see if that helps, there is one area within the loft (above the bathroom) that has severe condensation problems. Not sure if the extra insulation will work?

Cheers

SPUD1701
Tradesman
Tradesman

by SPUD1701 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:06 pm

Hi

Condensation always going to high high in bathrooms - insulation above ceiling level should limit warm air condensing on the ceiling where coming into contact with cold spaces.

Need to make sure that bathroom has extractor fan, natural ventilation and heating.

Make sure not to try clothes in bathrooms as this will increase condensation issues.

Worth considering de humidstat fan in bathroom these fans will come on when moisture in air gets too high and only go off when percentage of moise air reduced to a more acceptable level.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:07 pm