Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tony1949
Apprentice
Apprentice

rotting flexible pan connectors

by tony1949 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:52 pm

Hi All,
I have 2 toilets in my house and I'm having trouble with the flexible pan connectors.
Over the years I suppose I have had to replace them every 6 months or so as the plastic rots and splits.
I have tried different manufacturers and types and they all end up rotting out.
There is nothing put down the toilets that shouldn't be used.
I know that I could refit in solid pipe but as they sewer pipes are in concrete there is no movement to enable the rigid fittings to connect without the cisterns being too far from the wall.
Does anybody have any idea as to why they rot and is there anything that could be recommended to cure this?
Regards,
Tony

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:37 pm

tony1949,
Fitted loads of these and never had any problems with the plastic - sure the rubber seal in some are useless resulting in leaks within a few months.
Do you leave the connectors as fitted or do you paint them? Are you living in an area where industrial chemicals are dumped down the sewers?
end

tony1949
Apprentice
Apprentice

by tony1949 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:51 am

hi stoneyboy,
thanks for your reply, the answer to both questions is no.
there's no industry around here now, years ago we did have some chemical and plastics companies around but they have shut down. I certainly would not consider painting them, whats the point, their hidden!
The plastic breaks up like a supermarket plastic bag would that's been left in the sun only quicker. I have used the thin plastic type and also tried the "jollyflex" type that look thicker and are lined. All have the same result.
Thanks once again
tony

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:46 pm

tony1949,
Have you tried Multiqwik pan connectors?
end

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:04 pm

Well, I am as surprised as SToneyboy. I also have fitted and removed probably hundreds of connectors over the years and can't honestly say I have ever seen this before!!!

Try McAlpine. They are probably as good as Multiqwik.

Not sure why you need a flexible connector, there are various different shaped rigid ones that should fit without pushing the pan too far from the wall.

tony1949
Apprentice
Apprentice

by tony1949 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:14 am

Thanks Stoneyboy and Plumbob,

I know that this is a strange one, the reason I need flexible connectors is because the way the sewer connection is in the floor. Because the rooms are so small the pan cannot be aligned with the pan outlet because of the bath and the side wall.
I don't know whether I have used the 2 suggested brands as over the years I have tried many types from different merchants and I've always had the same result.
I will try and obtain these in the future and see if they cure the problem.
This has me foxed as I know people around that have used these and haven't had this problem.
Regards,
Tony

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:18 pm

this is very odd - i've never heard of the plastic just rotting like that, especially in just a few months. unless you are putting very harsh chemicals down the toilet it should not happen. might not be pleasant but next time it happens think about returning to manufacturer to see what they say.

now i have a thought - i have an issue with a toilet that i fitted for a customer a little over a year ago. she called me back just before christmas to report that the toilet was leaking and there was a foul smell. so i went back to check and to my horror i found that the flexible pan connector had failed catastrophically and had been letting all the foul straight out and under the bath and oak flooring, lifting it all and causing a real stench. the pan connector had completely separated into two halves, 360 degrees as though it had been attacked with a can opener. all concealed of course as is the style these days so it went unnoticed for such a time that the damage is extensive.

i felt gutted as you can imagine. i took out the plastic pan connector and on closer inspection realised at once what it was - rats.

she lives up a country lane, quite a distance from the main sewer so there is a very gentle (minimum) fall on the drain. rats get up there easily and she has had pest control out on two prior occasions to free rats trapped in the vent pipe - just three feet away from the pan. the chew marks on the pan connector were unmistakable. as the flexi connectors tend to be ribbed it is easy for vermin to get purchase for a good chew. not so easy on hardpiped pans.

i was exonerated but the mess still needs to be fixed. a battle with insurance company at the moment who refuse to pay out for vermin damage.

have a check and see if the connectors look as though they may have been chewed rather than rotted away. mcalpine do make a special vermin-proof trap that you fit into the soil pipe to stop them coming up into the pan. get a catalogue and you will find them.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:19 am