Routeing out ALOT of door frames
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Andy8271
Labourer
Labourer

Routeing out ALOT of door frames

by Andy8271 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:39 pm

Hello Everyone!
I am hoping someone can help me, After a recent H&S audit (got to love them!) It has been pointed out to us we need to fit fire strip to quite alot of our doors (we are talking 50+).
Obviously to take off this amount of doors to put a router around them is not going to be a 5 minute task!
So I was wondering is anyone is aware of a way we could route the door frames in situ without removeing the doors?
I was thinking of a powered Dremel but I dont think it would be small enough to get between the door and the frame?
If anyone has any ideas I would be very appreciative!

Thanks.

Andy

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:09 am

you will also have the problem that the router will not get right into the corners where the top and sides meet or get all the way to the floor - some chiselling required. plus you'd probably have to remove the stops to get the router in there.

also you'd have to be very accurate with the router to ensure the rebate is the correct size. the fire strip can't be loose.

you could perhaps use a laminate trimmer, that will get in tighter spaces but still leaves some chiselling.

but the only really feasible way of doing it (short of replacing all the door liners for firecheck) is to use a multitool to cut the sides of the rebate then remove the channel with a sharp chisel. you could do it without removing the doors plus the multitool will get right into the corners.

alas no matter how you do it you've got a job on your hands.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:51 pm