Running a Halogen heater
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
polstar
Labourer
Labourer

Running a Halogen heater

Post by polstar » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:30 am

Simple question (i hope), I have a halogen heater that has thee settings; 400w, 800w and 1200w. I also have electric wall heaters (convector type) that are 1000w. Am i correct in thinking that it will be cheaper to run the halogen heater on 400w or 800w than the 1200w wall heater? How much Kwh will each require? Does it make a difference that with the wall heater there is a thermostat so i can set the temperature i want? How much energy does it use if it is not running at full blast (the wall heater)?

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:01 pm

Your halogen heater will consume twice the amount of electricity for a given period on the 800 watt setting compared to the 400 watt setting. So the kwh usage will be double so the cost will be double.

In principle, a 1000 watt heater running for 1 hour consumes 1 unit of electricity, or 1kwh. A 500 watt device uses 1kwh in two hours whilst a 2000 watt heater will use the same in half an hour. It is as simple as that. Now though, I have to add this sentence to stop every electrician pointing out this is not actually totally accurate, but for your guidance, I believe it will suffice.

Now which type of heater is cheaper to use is a little more difficult to advise. Thermostatic heaters will be cheaper if the halogen is is allowed to over heat the room without being turned off. Conversely, the halogen may be cheaper because it concentrates the heat in a local area rather than warming the whole room.

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

Best heating

Post by Perry525 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:42 pm

You know the answer there are one thousand watts in a kilo watt.
The settings on the halogen heater are what you pay for.
The convector type wall heater is either on or off.
The on, being dependent on the existing room temperature, so you cannot say how much per hour they will cost to use. (Except when they are fully on.)
However, the halogen heater being in the middle of the room, and aimed directly at you will feel warmer, whereas, the wall heaters will loose some of their heat, heating up the wall behind them, and the circulating, convected air will warm the walls and ceilings before you notice any warming effect from them.
Instant heat is best and cheapest, convected can work if on long enough and that depends on the size of room and its insulation. It will need to be a small room to have any effect at this time, being so cold.

Mr_Jolly
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Mr_Jolly » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:00 pm

400 w heater uses 400w when heating up
800 w heater uses 800 w when heating up
1000 w heater uses 1000w when heating up
1200w heater uses 1200w when heating up

if an electric heater is not heating up ( reached set temp ) it is not usually using electricity apart from a few watts

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1