Running and electrical supply to a shed

Postby JimmerG » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:23 pm


I wonder if someone can help me out here. I need to run an electrical supply to me wooden shed - approx 10 metres from my house. I plan to continue the radial circuit from a socket in our dining room. The circuit currently has only 2x double sockets (which don't really get used) and has a 16amp MCB at the fuse board.

The plan is to start from the last socket on the circuit, add a 13amp fused spur (maybe a RCD FCU) then convert to SWA go through the wall, across the garden to a double socket in the shed -should the double socket have an RCD aswell?

Does this all sound about right?

And do I need to consider earth bonding?

Thanks for your help

Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:51 am


Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:27 pm

There does not seem to be a problem but I would advise you dig trench then get an electrician who is registered with a scheme to do the electrical work.

The LABC charges are so high that getting an electrician to do the work is often the cheapest option.

Before extending any radial you first need to measure the impedance and work out if when extended it will still comply with the regulations. Although you could hire the test gear. (Approx £75) I would think in most cases you will get the work done for less than the £200 it is going to cost you in council and hire charges to DIY.
Posts: 1367
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:49 pm
Location: Mold, North Wales.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


  • Related Topics