Running CH with a radiator out of the loop (valves plugged)
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
PeteP
Apprentice
Apprentice

Running CH with a radiator out of the loop (valves plugged)

by PeteP » Fri May 08, 2009 10:18 am

I'm completely replacing the bathroom and one of the jobs is to replace the standard radiator with a chrome towel rail one. At the moment the old rad is out and the two valves are plugged to prevent any leaking - especially from the TRV.

I can't install the new rad until I have tiled and moved some pipework.

My question is: can I run the CH and have heat in the rest of the house while the one radiator is not in the loop?

It will sound daft to some of you, but my understanding is that a CH system runs on a loop so one gap will stop the system working. Is that right?

Any help would be very welcome as I'm cold during the day, but at night? Brrrrr.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri May 08, 2009 7:42 pm

It works on a loop - as in flow and return.

But what happens when one TRV shuts the valve because the room has reached temperature ? do all the radiators go off ? -
answer = NO

You'll be able to use the rest of the system with one radiator disconnected.
So should be nice and warm tonight ;-)

htg

PeteP
Apprentice
Apprentice

by PeteP » Fri May 08, 2009 7:52 pm

Thanks. It'll be nice to be toastie tonight.

What I discovered late on today when I was in the crawl space under the house is that there are two pipes that run under the kitchen but are blanked at the ends (there is no radiator in there) so I figured out for myself that my system must work with a radiator out of commission.

Thanks again for the enlightening reply.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1