running water in cistern
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Ann
Labourer
Labourer

running water in cistern

by Ann » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:14 pm

The water in my cistern keeps running, it doesn't overflow or run in the toilet bowl but just runs constantly. it is a modern push button flush with a modern plastic float arm?
How do I stop it from running?

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:19 pm

I don't understand this. If the cistern is constantly filling where does the water go? It can't just disappear. Surely, it must be overflowing or escaping in to the bowl? Knowing where it goes to will pinpoint the fault.

first.aider
Labourer
Labourer

by first.aider » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:28 pm

I had a similar problem with a toilet which was fitted with a Torbeck system. The water, however, was visible running into the bowl. Replacing the Torbeck unit cured it, although I believe sometimes just replacing the diaphragm works. Problem could be due to dirt getting into the diaphragm area. Incidentally, I am not a plumber - this is purely from personal experience. :wink:

millieminder
Apprentice
Apprentice

by millieminder » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:56 am

Hi

I have a similar problem. The cistern is a conventional low-level syphon type with lever handle. Most times (and increasingly frequently) after being flushed and when the main flush has subsided, a small trickle into the pan is still evident at the back of the pan. You don't really see the water on its way down, just slight turbulence where it enters the main 'lake' in the pan. We are most aware of it because the pipes continue to sound of water running. It takes forever for the cistern to refill, unless you go back and press the handle another couple of times.

My daughter noticed that if the cistern emits a 'gurgling' noise, then it will fill and stop correctly.

I would be grateful for any advice about how to fix this - does it sound like a 'diaphragm' problem as a poster above suggested? And if so, how do you change it?

mrlennie
Labourer
Labourer

by mrlennie » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:39 pm

The water must be going somewhere probably down the pan and you just cant notice it. There are three reasons why this would happen.

Either the inlet valve (either ball or torbeck ((the torbeck is the one with no massive ball in the cistern)) Needs adjusting. Look up how to adjust this online.

And then the siphon could be passing or the valve is passing.You can find out if it is the inlet valve by watching how the water acts as it rises in the cistern after the flush and mimicking it yourself (by pushing it up with your hand) and seeing if water is coming through. If it does come through you have it. If not its the siphon. MAKE SURE you know that the inlet valve is properly adjusted before doing this otherwise you may misdiagnose as the siphon, replace the siphon and realise that you just wasted your time and money when all you needed was to adjust the valve.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:41 pm