Rusting/Leaking Central Heating radiators
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
simonmatthews
Labourer
Labourer

Rusting/Leaking Central Heating radiators

by simonmatthews » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:36 pm

I have had quite a few radiators rust through and start leaking. I would like to ask what is causing this,and what I can do about it ? I have plenty of inhibitor in the system,to stop oxidisation. The problem is that i have had 4 go in the last 3 years,the oldest being 5 years old and the youngest being only 18 months old !!!!
Last edited by simonmatthews on Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

by TheDoctor4 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:11 am

Hi

Have you checked out the DIY projects are of this site: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm There are numerous projects related to Central Heating that may be of some use to you.

Regards

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:04 am

Its the usual thing- Rads aint what they used to be!!.
Ive had 2 fail at only about 12 yrs old and seen plenty elsewhere.
All your addatives just prolong the inevitable.
Where as there are 000's out there over 20-30 yrs old still going strong, but not as efficient & look rubbish!!

simonmatthews
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Rusting/Leaking Central Heating radiators

by simonmatthews » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:57 am

[quote="simonmatthews"]I have had quite a few radiators rust through and start leaking. I would like to ask what is causing this,and what I can do about it ? I have plenty of inhibitor in the system,to stop oxidisation.[/quote] The problem is that I have had 4 go in 3 years the oldest being 5 years old and the youngest being just 18 months old !!!

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:32 pm

What brand are you using ? if cheaper ones like B&Q's own make, this may be the problem. Myson or stelrad are probably the best and should last many years.

Although I have used quite a few Wickes own radiators and they seem to be decent quality, I first one I fitted was about 8 years ago, and it's still in good condition - it's not part of a pressurised system though.

htg

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1