Safety Glass regulations.
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
emanday
Apprentice
Apprentice

Safety Glass regulations.

by emanday » Sun May 30, 2010 5:38 pm

My living room has a double glazed window butting up against a full height window (i.e. a door) which opens inwards. A rail runs on the outside wall so I think it is called a Juliet balcony.

The double glazing was installed in all the flats in this block a couple of years ago by a contractor employed by the the management company. My "balcony door" is the ONLY one which was left as the original wooden framed single glazed unit. It is not safety glass.

Was the contractor legal in fitting the window butting the "door" but leaving the door with ordinary glass? Neighbours tell me that the entire unit was removed, then the wooden door put back after the window was fitted. If I were to fall against it, I'd not likely fall out as the rail is there, but the glass would certainly break, possibly causing me severe cuts.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun May 30, 2010 9:03 pm

emanday,
If your balcony door is the only one left without safety glass in the block of flats then the contractor probably has been delinquent.
The question will be "what does the contract say" and this will be in the hands of the management company.
So, I think you have to write to the management company raising this as an issue.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:16 am